Wednesday, January 6, 2010
Better Late than Never...
So, I've had this blog up for a while, time to actually do my homework.

When Google finally launched the Street View application onto their Google Maps program, everyone was talking about it. Either that, or they were going online to look for their own home addresses for themselves. I was one of those people.

After I found my house, I searched up my Uncle's house.

Then my cousin's.

Then my Mom's office.

Then Mary Ward.

And while I was searching up Scarborough Town Center, I realized that the program I had been playing with could be used to do evil deeds. What kind of evil deeds?

I've heard of some programs that can sharpen pixels in a blurred image. Since the faces of people and license plates are blurred, maybe someone could un-blur the images to reveal the faces and plates.

Or, a person could search another person's address and see where they live, and how their house looks like. Then, they can follow them when they get home and vandalize the property...or other things.

Perhaps Doctor Octopus can search up the location of Spiderman's secret hideout!

I understand why Google would do something like this, but there are downsides to having an application like this. One can search up an address; any address, and see what it looks like. Someone can search up a school, a business, any facility, and see where it is located. Not to mention that the program itself is kind of laggy, and somewhat difficult to control

However, there are some positive aspects of Street View. For one, you can search up an unknown address of the party you were invited to, and see what kind of landmarks and businesses are nearby to help you locate their house quicker. This will be especially useful for people with no sense of direction, such as myself.

Or, one could search up a famous city, like Paris or Rome, and see the city from street level. Then it would be like actually going to the city, without actually leaving your house.

But people's privacy is still a concern for me. With the 360 degree camera, people were unknowingly photographed. Although their faces were blurred out, it's still a breach of privacy. And what about the people who don't want their address to be 'Googled'? There should be an option for people to block their address from being searched up.

Still, Google Maps' Street View is a fun litle application that has great potential for the direction-impaired people of the world. It's also a great tool for the travellers-to-be. I mean, look! It's the Eiffel Tower!
posted by p.relatado at 6:22 AM -
1 Comments:

Post a Comment

About Me
Name: Patricia
Section: 04
Teacher: Ms. Saran
See my profile...

Previous Post
Archives
Links
Credits


Brushes by Gvalkyrie